A | C | D | E | F | H | L | M | P | R | S | U                           

Adorers of the Blood of Christ (U.S. Region)

Founded by St. Maria de Mattias in 1834 in Italy, the mission of the Adorers of the Blood of Christ worldwide is to collaborate with Christ in His work of redemption. The sisters strive to build up the Body of Christ so that all creation can move toward "that beautiful order of things in which the great Son of God came to establish in His blood," according to St. Maria.

In the world today, the Adorers specifically live this out by witnessing to God's love and ministering that love to others, especially to the poor, oppressed and deprived.

The Guardian Angel Child Development Center is located in north St. Louis.  Guardian Angel's specialty is to provide affordable child care for those who otherwise could not afford it. In 2009, it debuted a new 22,000-square-foot facility on the north side of Midtown St. Louis. It is licensed for up to 177 children ages birth through 12. The center also is accredited in the Early Head Start and Head Start programs.

 Image                                             

Adorers of the Blood of Christ Archives Photo

 Image                                             

Sister waving to children at the Guardian Angel Child Development Center in 2012


Return to top

Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

The Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, a Congregation of religious women that claims Mother Clelia Merloni as its foundress, first arrived in St. Louis to bring the Faith to the Italian immigrants. Since those early years downtown when they were known as “Missionary Zelatrices of the Sacred Heart,” the Sisters have served in over 20 different locations in greater St. Louis.  The Apostles’ role in the great story of the Archdiocese of St. Louis began on January 24, 1913.  Read More... 

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Cor Jesu Academy, 1958

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Sacred Heart Villa, Catechesis of the Good Shepherd


Return to top

Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus

In the early 20th century, the Carmel of the Divine Heart, a congregation impelled by zeal for the salvation of souls to unite the contemplative life of Carmel to an active apostolate of providing homes for the young and old, was preparing to spread into unknown mission fields across the Atlantic.  The Foundress of the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus, Bl. Mother Maria Teresa of St. Joseph, travelled from Europe to North America in 1912.  On a visit to St. Louis at the invitation of the Carmelite Monastery here, she received permission to open a Home for the Aged from Archbishop John J. Glennon.  Divine Providence led the Sisters to St. Charles, Missouri where Monsignor Willmes took them under his wing and St. Joseph’s Home was opened.  Read More...

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus - Historical Photo

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus - Care of Children


Return to top

Congregation of Divine Providence

We Sisters of Divine Providence are a community of women religious rooted in our confidence that God is provident. We participate in the mission of Jesus by responding to the needs of the time through ministry and service. We live our lives with complete trust in a provident God --guiding, loving, and caring for all creation.
We believe in the reality of Providence. We believe that the movements of history in which we participate are guided by the loving power of God. We believe that God cares for all creation. We believe that we have an active role in this creative redemption because God works in us and through us.

                            Image                        

Congregation (Sisters) of Divine Providence Archives Photo

                                                    

Image

Congregation (Sisters) of Divine Providence Sister


Return to top

Congregation of Mary, Queen

The Congregation of Mary, Queen is a religious institute of diocesan right, with our Motherhouse located in Vietnam and our regional/provincial house located in Springfield, MO.  In 1991, the sisters began discerning the possibility of establishing a local convent in the Archdiocese of St. Louis. Then, Archbishop John L. May, visited with three of the sisters in the Congregation’s Regional Council.  It was evident that St. Louis was an ideal place for establishing a new community of sisters and strengthening the Formation Program of the younger sisters.  Read More...

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Congregation of Mary, Queen - 1991 Photo

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Catholic Charities of St. Louis – Community Services Southside Center


Return to top

Congregation of the Carmelite Religious (Trivandrum)

The Congregation of the Carmelite Religions has its hallowed origins in Bayonne, France. It is a part of the historic foundation of the Third Order apostolic of Mount Carmel established by Mother Veronica to prepare and train sisters for the Indian mission.

The Congregation believes in the proclamation of the Gospel through selfless service to the people of God. Education is our chief apostolate. The spirit of Carmel is our inspiration. We believe in a way of life that advocates uninterrupted contemplation of God even in the midst of a busy apostolate. The Lady of Mount Carmel is our Mother and Patroness and the saints of Carmel are our inspiration.

Our Motto: In His Presence We Stand and Serve.

 Image  Image                         

Congregation of the Carmelite Religious Sisters cook and pray for the Kenrick-Glennon Seminarians


Return to top

Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul

In 1828, at the request of then St. Louis Bishop Joseph Rosati, four sisters set out from their Motherhouse in Emmitsburg, Maryland, in September to journey to St. Louis.  Bishop Rosati requested the sisters to take charge of a hospital.  When the sisters arrived, they found an expanding city and many in need of health care.  The sisters established the first hospital west of the Mississippi River; today, it is known as DePaul Health Center.  The sisters then began to serve in education and in needed social ministries.  Mental health, care for orphans, and schools for the needy were opened and staffed.   Read More...

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

  DePaul Nursing Students Studying - 1906

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

  Seminary House Blessing - 2012


Return to top

Daughters of St. Paul

The Congregation of the Daughters of St. Paul is one of the 10 institutes that make up the Pauline Family, founded by Blessed James Alberione with the collaboration of Mother Thecla Merlo.

For an open house, the Daughters debuted the documentary on their founder, Blessed James Alberione, who viewed media as a way to evangelize. Celebrating their 100th anniversary, the Daughters remain on the cutting-edge of media, including a presence on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

At the Pauline Books and Media store on Watson Road in Crestwood, visitors checked out the state-of-the-art retail operation with CDs, DVDs, religious items and old-school books and paintings, then toured the new chapel with its symbolic stained-glass windows and the recently expanded private area to house the order's growing postulate.

Image                                                                                                                            

Daughters of St. Paul 1980 Archives Photo

Image                                                                                                                            

Daughters of St. Paul at the Pauline Books and Media store in Crestwood, 2015


Return to top

Daughters of the Heart of Mary

The Society of the Daughters of the Heart of Mary is a world-wide congregation of women religious founded in 1790 through the inspiration of a priest and a lay woman who ardently desired to imitate Our Blessed Mother and live like her.

Today in the 21st Century, we continue to live out our founders' inspiration through lives of contemplation in action in the midst of the world. The Society provides for the continuance of religious life under all circumstances in every milieu where a Daughter of the Heart of Mary is sent in mission to proclaim the kingdom of God.

Image                                                                                                                           

Daughters of the Heart of Mary Archives Photo

 Image                                                  

Daughters of the Heart of Mary Archives Photo


Return to top

Dominican Sisters (Grand Rapids)

The Dominican Sisters ~ Grand Rapids Congregation was founded for and is committed to teaching and preaching the Word of God in what we say and what we do.

We preach the gospel of hope. We stand in solidarity with those who live on the margins of society. We affirm the need for collaboration and community so that all my flourish.

We joyfully embrace our vocation to seek God as the sole desire of our heart and to be the compassion and justice of Jesus in our time and place. 

   

Return to top

Dominican Sisters of Peace

Dominican Sisters of Peace, members of the Order of Preachers, are vowed Catholic Sisters who strive to live a life of peace-making wherever we are and in everything we do. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.” (John 14:27) Jesus’ words in John’s Gospel are our prayer for the world.

Our Sisters are in 26 states and in Peru, Nigeria, and Honduras. In the St. Louis Archdiocese our sisters minister at St. Joseph Cottleville Parish in St. Charles and at the Dominican Collaborative Novitiate.

Read More...

 Image                                                                                            

Dominican Sisters of Peace - Wake up the World

 Image                                                                                            

Dominican Sisters of Peace - Vocations


Return to top

Dominican Sisters of Sparkill, NY

Though tracing their history to St. Dominic's founding of the Dominicans in 1215, the Sparkill Dominicans came to be in 1876, with sisters Alice Mary and Lucy Thorpe serving poor in New York City. They purchased property in Sparkill in 1884 and used it as a base of operations for their education ministry in the 1900s. Locally, the community ministers at East Side Heart and Home Family Center in East St. Louis.

The Dominican Sisters of Sparkill taught at numerous parish schools in the Archdiocese of St. Louis -- part of their mission that includes residential housing for the elderly and handicapped, missions in Pakistan and Peru, and the arts and culture.

At present, there are 40 Sparkill, Dominican Sisters and 16 associates ministering to God's people in St. Louis.  We minister to the marginalized in many differing areas: The Family Center in East St. Louis and Queen of Peace Center and Nia Kuumba Spirituality Center in St. Louis.  We serve in Prison Ministry and in Health Ministries.  Our sisters are involved in Spiritual Direction, Prayer and Healing Ministries, and Community Service.  In the field of Education, we have sisters who are Principals, Registrar, and Teachers as well as Educators working with Immigrant and Refugee Women's Program.  We are involved in Pastoral Care and Parish Ministers.  Read More...

 Image                                                                                                                                                                               

Dominican Sisters of Sparkhill - Archives Photo

 Image                                                                                                                                                                               

Dominican Sisters of Sparkhill


Return to top

Dominican Sisters, St. Cecilia Congregation

Eight centuries ago St. Dominic de Guzman founded a new religious Order whose contemplative framework was to support its active mission of preaching for the salvation of souls. Today, the Dominican Sisters of Saint Cecilia Congregation live out this mission through a life of prayer, study and community, which nourishes a contemplative spirit and bears fruit in their teaching apostolate.

In the spirit of Saint Dominic, the community embraces the Church’s call to the New Evangelization, responding creatively to the needs of our time. The Sisters’ apostolate includes classroom teaching preschool through college; family formation programs; campus ministry and work with young people; retreats and other catechetical efforts that encourage growth in the faith and in the spiritual life.

Serving in 15 U.S. states, and in Canada, Australia, Italy, Scotland, and the Netherlands, the Sisters seek to inspire students and their families to engage and transform the culture with the saving truths of the Gospel.

Founded in 1860 in Nashville, Tennessee, the Congregation of St. Cecilia today numbers over 300 Sisters. The community is marked by joyful fidelity to the Church, devotion to Christ in the Eucharist and to his Blessed Mother, and zeal for teaching the truth.

 Image                                                          

Art Club - Sister with Students

 Image                                                          

St. Cecilia Chapel


Return to top

Eucharistic Missionaries of St. Theresa

One of the richest blessing of our St John Bosco parish family is our strong sense of tradition.  From our original founding as a parish community in 1972, St John Bosco has been home for families who take great pride in our faith and the sense of tradition that has permeated our history.  Two Sisters of the Community of the Eucharistic Missionaries from Mexico City began to take care of the rectory residence, and Sisters continue as members of the rectory staff.

Image

Return to top

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity

Founded in Manitowoc, WI in 1869, our Congregation of Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity is rooted in the call of God to Theresa Gramlich and Rosa Wahl. Their simplicity, firmly built on faith in a loving God, their joyful acceptance of poverty, their love for the Church and their selfless dedication to the service of others are the cornerstones on which our Congregation is built. God leads us today, under their inspiration to continue to incarnate these gifts through our lives in this Congregation.

Our Community history with the Archdiocese of St. Louis began shortly after our founding. Our very first postulant Mary Doyle, once professed and named Sister Patricia, was missioned with others of our Sisters to the Irish Settlement of St. Bridget Parish, Pacific, MO from 1886-1892. The Sisters taught in the parochial school and served in other supportive roles at the parish in this quaint town reaching close to the Ozark Mountains.

With the years, the variety of abilities and experiences of our Sisters made it possible for us to return to the diocese to serve at Our Lady of Guadalupe Convent in St. Louis August 2017. Our Sisters are currently present to people who would like to come to pray for an end to abortion and to offer them hospitality. As St. Francis was, so we are very committed to promoting the dignity of the human person, the sacredness of family life and other concerns which will further justice, love and the common good.

 Image
Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity serving at St. Bridget Pacific MO 1800s
 Image
Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity serving at Our Lady of Guadalupe Convent St. Louis MO

Return to top

Franciscan Sisters of Mary

On November 16, 1872, Mother Mary Odilia Berger and her five companions landed on the St. Louis riverfront with a mission—a mission that remains the mission of the congregation today: “to be the presence of the loving, serving, compassionate, healing Jesus.” They set to work in the poorest neighborhoods of the city, caring for the sick and poor in their homes, people who would never be able to afford medical care.  Read More...

The Franciscan Sisters of Mary continue to carry out their mission “to be the presence of the loving, serving, compassionate, healing Jesus” with their special focus on “compassionate care of creation in collaboration with others.”  Read More...

 Image 

First medical staff meeting at St. Mary’s Infirmary in 1933

 Image 

Franciscan Sisters of Mary Focus External Implementation Group Prayer


Return to top

Franciscan Sisters of Our Lady of Perpetual Help

One hundred years ago, the Spirit manifested itself to three women of faith, prophetic vision, and courage—Sister Solana Leczna, Sister Ernestine Matz, and Sister Hilaria Matz, members of the Franciscan Sisters of Mary Immaculate of Joliet, Illinois.  Responding to the needs of Polish immigrants, these three Sisters separated from the Joliet Franciscans to remain at St. Stanislaus Kostka in St. Louis, a parish consisting of 2300 parishioners with over 600 children in the school where the Sisters taught.  In the early twentieth century, the vision of the Sisters broadened beyond only Polish-speaking parishes to include staffing other schools in predominantly rural parishes in Missouri and Illinois.  Read More...

 Image                                                                                                                                                                               

  Foundresses

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Sisters and friends at a climate march in August 2014


Return to top

Hospital Sisters of Saint Francis

Hospital Sisters of Saint Francis are women who have dedicated their lives to and for the love of Christ Jesus, and to their brothers and sisters in Christ. Public vows made to God, through the church and community, are the manifestation of a life of simplicity and service to the sick and poor.

   

Return to top

Little Sisters of the Poor

The Little Sisters of the Poor stay grounded in the knowledge that they are carrying on the work of their foundress.

In 1839 St. Jeanne Jugan, a poor 47-year old working woman in post-revolutionary France, shared a small apartment with a friend. They took in an infirm, blind, elderly neighbor who had been left alone when her sister was dying in the hospital. Soon they began caring for other elderly, and girls from the neighborhood joined in providing care.

With no money, St. Jeanne turned to families she had worked for previously and asked businesses to help. The ministry eventually moved into larger quarters and expanded to other towns. Today the Little Sisters of the Poor serve more than 13,000 elderly residents in homes in 31 countries, including 29 homes in the United States.

 Image                                                                                                                                       

Little Sisters of the Poor 1971 Archives Photo

 Image                                                                                                                  Bishop Edward Rice talked with Little Sisters of the Poor after a press conference at their St. Louis Residence.

Return to top

Lovers of the Holy Cross of Hanoi, Vietnam

The Lovers of the Holy Cross originated in Vietnam, founded by a French Bishop and missionary, Pierre Lambert de la Motte, in 1670. The Congregation is founded particularly for the Vietnamese. Each Congregation is independent in its administration and is under the supervision of the local bishop in whose diocese the Mother House resides.

   

Return to top

Lovers of the Holy Cross of St. Louis

Ten members of the Lovers of the Holy Cross came to St. Louis from Vietnam in 2012 at the invitation of Archbishop Robert J. Carlson. It was the first time that the community, founded by Bishop Pierre Lambert de la Motte in Vietnam in 1670, had sent a group directly from the motherhouse to minister in the United States. A separate community is in Los Angeles. The Lovers of the Holy Cross have a charism embodied in a love for Christ, crucified on the cross.

 Image
Lovers of the Holy Cross of St. Louis
 Image
Five sisters of the Lovers of the Holy Cross made their perpetual religious professions at Resurrection of Our Lord Parish in south St. Louis.

Return to top

Missionaries of Charity

We commit ourselves to the proclamation of the reign of God through a ministry for justice wherever the need presents itself at the time.

 Image                                                         

Missionaries of Charity - September 1998

 Image                                                         

Missionaries of Charity - 2007


Return to top

Missionary Sisters of St. Peter Claver

The most divine of divine things is to cooperate in the salvation of souls.

The spirituality of the Missionary Sisters of St. Peter Claver, inherited from their Foundress, Blessed Mary Theresa Ledochowska, is rooted in Ignatian spirituality; from there it branches into a uniquely Claverian way of following Christ.

 Image                                                      

Missionary Sisters of St. Peter Claver - Archives Photo

 Image                    

Sisters participate in a special Eucharistic Celebration of the 150th Birthday of Blessed Mary Theresa Ledochówska, Foundress of the Missionary Sisters of St. Peter Claver at St. Louis Abbey Church in Creve Coeur, MO.


Return to top

Pallottine Missionary Sisters

Rome:  January 9th, 1835: Vincent Pallotti,  while celebrating the Eucharist, had a vision in which he clearly understood that he was called by God to dedicate his life to the service of the Church in the “Universal Apostolate”.

Florissant, Missouri:  In 1966, eighty-four acres of land were purchased in Florissant, Missouri.  There were two houses on the property that served as a home for the novitiate, with Sr. Perpetua Moellering as director of novices.  These young women attended St. Louis University on a part-time basis.

The Pallottine Renewal Center in Florissant seeks to follow a charism “to spread the Gospel message by any and all means, and to empower the laity to focus their God-given talents and gifts so they may fully live out the vocation to which God has called them.” The Center hosts teen and adult groups, Catholic and non-Catholic organizations. Since 1969, over 134,000 persons have experienced the Pallottine tradition of hospitality. The workers labor tirelessly toward awakening faith in all Christians, to rekindle love, and to lead all people to unity in Christ. (Pallottine  Renewal Center website)  Read More...

 Image                                                                                       

Pallottine Renewal Center in Florissant

 

Return to top

Racine Dominicans

Committed to Truth, Compelled to Justice

Commitment to truth in the light of the Gospel compels us to consecrate whatever power we have, personally and as community, to sustain the fundamental right of every person to pursue the fullness of life and to share in the common good.    – Constitution - Article 8 (partial)

Read More about the Racine Dominicans...

Read More about the Racine Dominicans in St. Louis...

 

 Image  Image            

The Racine Dominican Executive Team


Return to top

Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma

The Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma formed in 1973 "in response to the renewal called for in the Second Vatican Council," according to their website -- www.rsmofalma.org . RSMs serve as doctors, nurses, and hospital administrators in the medical field, and also teach in seminaries and schools.  A Religious Sister of Mercy is called to professional excellence while living in a religious community as the Bride of Christ.

The community has 10 convents in the United States, three in Europe:  Rome, England and Germany -- and another in Sydney, Australia.  They came to St. Louis at the invitation of Archbishop Robert J. Carlson, formerly the bishop in their diocese of Saginaw, Michigan.

 Image                                      

Sister answering questions from young students

 Image                                      

Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma preparing a meal together for their community


Return to top

Rural Parish Workers of Christ the King

The Rural Parish Workers of Christ the King are located in Fertile, MO (just south of Potosi), which has been in existence since 1942. This agency is supported by the Annual Catholic Appeal and helps provide food, clothing, utilities and spiritual needs to the people in the surrounding area.

 Image                                                                   

Rural Parish Workers of Christ the King - Archives Photo

 Image                                                        

Rural Parish Workers of Christ the King


Return to top

Salesian Missionaries of Mary Immaculate

The Institute of the Salesian Missionaries of Mary Immaculate (SMMI), the religious missionary branch, was born from the Society of the Daughters of Saint Francis de Sales, founded in Paris in 1872 by Father Henry Chaumont, a diocesan priest, and Madame Carré de Malberg, a housewife and mother. They founded this society for lay women to “live the Gospel” and spread its spirit in the world. From this lay society, in 1885, our founder founded a missionary branch, the Salesian Missionaries of Mary Immaculate.  Read More...

 Image                                                                                                                                                                          

Salesian Missionaries of Mary Immaculate

 Image                                                                                                                                                                          

Salesian Missionaries of Mary Immaculate


Return to top

School Sisters of Notre Dame - Central Pacific Province

Founded in 1833 by Blessed Theresa Gerhardinger in Bavaria, the School Sisters of Notre Dame have more than 2,500 sisters in more than 34 countries. They came to the United States in 1847 and to St. Louis not long after, educating generations of children in the St. Louis area.  Their teaching ministry continues today with schools throughout the United States, including Notre Dame High School in St. Louis.  Notre Dame sisters teach at all levels of education -- elementary, secondary and post-secondary.  The sisters also host regular events at their campus, which is home to Notre Dame High School, the motherhouse with its exquisitely rehabbed St. Theresa Center Chapel, and the offices for the Central Pacific Province -- among five in the U.S.

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                          

School Sisters of Notre Dame Historical Photo

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                          

School Sisters of Notre Dame President assists students of Trinity Catholic High School.


Return to top

Sinsinawa Dominican Congregation of the Most Holy Rosary

We are Catholic Sisters proclaiming the Gospel through preaching and teaching to help build a holy and just Church and society.

   

Return to top

Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

The Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary are a community of Catholic women called to live the mission of Jesus through core values of:  Freedom, Charity, Education, and Justice.

 Image                                                                                                                      

Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary 1954 Archives Photo

 Image                                                 

Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Archives Photo


Return to top

Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word (Houston)

The Archdiocese of Sr. Louis has been the home of initial formation for the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, Houston, Texas since September of 1990. 

The Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word was founded in Galveston, Texas, in 1866 by Bishop Claude Marie Dubuis, second bishop of Texas. At that time the diocese encompassed the whole state of Texas with its See in Galveston. (Today there are 15 dioceses in Texas!) The first three sisters came from Lyons, France to establish the Congregation. In 1926, the Motherhouse moved to the newly built Villa de Matel Convent in Houston where it still is today. The Sisters serve in ministries of education, health care, social concerns, and spirituality in five countries: El Salvador, Guatemala, Ireland, Kenya, and the United States of America.

 Image                                                                                                                                         

Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word (Houston)

 

Return to top

Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word (San Antonio)

A visible sign of God's love often is evidenced in the promotion of human dignity. And that's exactly what the Sisters of Charity of Incarnate Word embrace as their charism.

That's the same charism that sisters are helping to live out at Incarnate Word Academy, an all-girls Catholic high school, located in the north St. Louis County suburb of Bel-Nor. The sisters' community founded the school here in 1932.

 Image                                                                                                                                                        

Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word (San Antonio) Archives Photo

 Image                                                                                                                     

Student congratulated by Sisters at Incarnate Word Academy in 2012


Return to top

Sisters of Christian Charity

Our ministry, rooted in our relationship with God, is co-creative energy for meeting the present and emerging needs of the Church especially through collaboration, networking, and by acting as advocates to attain social justice.

A current ministry for the Sisters of Christian Charity in the Archdiocese of St. Louis is working in Health Care as a Chaplain at St. Anthony's Medical Center.

 Image                                                                                                                    

Sisters of Christian Charity 1954 Archives Photo

 Image                                                                 

Sisters of Christian Charity working as a Chaplain in Pastoral Care at St. Anthony’s Medical Center


Return to top

Sisters of Divine Providence

The Congregation of the Sisters of Divine Providence was founded in 1851 by the Most Reverend William Emmanuel Baron von Ketteler, Bishop of Mainz, Germany, and pioneer of social justice, and Marie de la Roche, a French noble woman whom he instructed and baptized in the Catholic faith.  The first foundation of the Sisters of Divine Providence was in Pittsburgh, PA.  In 1930 the community began a new province in the Midwest, establishing the St. Louis Province on August 1, 1930, the anniversary of the death of its foundress, Marie de la Roche.  The temporary headquarters of the new province was located at St. Elizabeth hospital in Granite City, Illinois and Mother Rosalia Weaver was installed as its first Provincial Superior.  Read More...

Image                                                                                                                                                                         

Mount Providence School for Boys in 1932

Image                                                                                                                                                                              

Sister with baby from Room at the Inn in 2014


Return to top

Sisters of Loretto

The Sisters of Loretto, one of the first religious communities of women founded in the United States, began on the Kentucky frontier in 1812.  From this beginning, the Loretto charism of loving service, rooted in Jesus on the cross and Mary at the foot of the cross, has shaped and formed this community and keeps it alive today.  Read More...

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Loretto Sister leads a class at St. Pius V, ca. 1970

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Loretto Sister assists a student at Loretto Learning Center, Webster Groves, ca. 1975


Return to top

Sisters of Mercy of the Americas

Founded more than 180 years ago, the Sisters of Mercy is an international community comprised of 9,000 Sisters of Mercy who live and minister in 46 countries. Through the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas Sisters of Mercy serve those in need in the U.S., Central and South America, Jamaica, Guam and the Philippines. In the St. Louis Archdiocese 70 Sisters of Mercy live and serve in a number of ministries including health care, social services, education, spiritual direction, prison and prayer ministry. Sisters of Mercy sponsor Mercy Conference and Retreat Center, a spacious complex for individual and group retreats as well as meeting space and overnight accommodations on 70+ acres in west St. Louis County.

 Image
Historical - Sisters of Mercy in Health Care Ministry at St. John's Mercy Medical Center (now Mercy Hospital)
 Image
Current - Sister of Mercy in Education Ministry at Webster University

Return to top

Sisters of St. Francis (Oldenburg)

The year 2016 will mark the 165th anniversary of the founding of the Sisters of St. Francis in Oldenburg, Indiana in January 1851. We are thankful for all those who have welcomed and served with us during these years in education, social services, and parish ministry.

"As Oldenburg Franciscan Sisters, we continue the journey in simplicity, openness and joy as we follow in the footsteps of the greatest of all visionaries...Jesus of Nazareth, whose vision of peace and justice brings new life to all places in all times." Prologue to the Rule and Constitution of the Sisters of St. Francis.

Sister Theresa Hackelmeier had been persuaded to leave her European convent to establish a community in the Indiana wilderness. A few children awaited her and thus began the history of the new Franciscan foundation whose ministry is education.

Eight years after being founded, the Community was invited by Fr. Charles Doebbner to begin a school at Holy Trinity Parish in St. Louis, Missouri. Three Sisters were assigned to the new venture and made the trip from Oldenburg in a covered wagon drawn by horses.

Today, seven Sisters of St. Francis still serve in St. Louis and the surrounding area. Their ministries include adult day care, parishes and Nia Kuumba Spirituality Center.

 Image                                                                                                                                      

Sisters of St. Francis Historical Picture

 Image                                                                                                                                      

Sisters of St. Francis


Return to top

Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George

In December 1923, 5 Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George came to America to serve at Fr. Dunne’s Home for Newsboys in St. Louis, MO.  For 2 years they lived and worked with these boys, learning English and getting a start in this new land.  Their roots were deep, planted in the soil of northern Germany, in a village called Thuine, yet they willingly answered the call to come to America.  Read More...

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                     

Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George with Staff

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                     

Resident with Sister at the Mother of Good Counsel Home


Return to top

Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet

A combination of circumstances contributed to the first establishment of the Sisters of St. Joseph in America.  Through her work with the Propagation of the Faith, Felicite’ Duras, a Countess, was greatly moved by a letter from Bishop Rosati, the first Bishop of St. Louis, asking for sisters who would undertake instruction of deaf-mutes.  She offered to defray the expense of establishing a community of Sisters of St. Joseph in this diocese of St. Louis.  She had a great love and admiration for Mother St. John Fontbonne and asked her to send the sisters to America.   Read More...

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                    

Log Cabin - First Convent for the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, MO - 1836

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                    

Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet Current Photo


Return to top

Sisters of the Good Shepherd (Apostolic)

The apostolic Good Shepherd sisters are located in Normandy. There currently are seven sisters who make up the core community, and nine international sisters going through the English as a Second Language program to prepare them future leadership roles for the congregation. The campus also houses the offices of the Province of Mid-North America and includes a retirement residence for members of the community's apostolic and contemplative branches.

Opened in 1979 and operated by the Good Shepherd Sisters, Maria Droste provides a residential program for women who are battling drug and alcohol addictions. It's a quiet, homelike setting that can take up to 11 women at a time. The average stay is about four months to a year, and residents receive in-house support from the 24-hour staff and sisters, while they receive professional treatment outside. The ministry is just one example of the apostolic community's charism, which is to foster reconciliation and Jesus' mercy among those the sisters serve.

 Image                                                                                                                                                       

Sisters of the Good Shepherd Archives Photo

 Image                                                

Sisters of the Good Shepherd - Apostolic


Return to top

Sisters of the Most Precious Blood

In 1845, a group of young German women began the Congregation of the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood of O’Fallon, Missouri in Steinerberg, Switzerland because their native Germany was hostile to the formation of new religious congregations. Magdalena [Mother Theresa] Weber and Rev. Karl Rolfus are revered as their founders. They were founded as a contemplative order dedicated to prayer, simple tasks, and devotion to the Most Precious Blood of Jesus.  Read More ...

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                        

Sisters of the Most Precious Blood Archives Photo

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                        

The Embroidery Department exhibited this chasuble at the World’s Fair in St. Louis.  


Return to top

Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart

"Our Society is devoted to the loving Heart of Our Lord Jesus. His love permeates our life and apostolate." Sister Ida Peterfy, Constitutions

 Image                                                                                                                 

Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart 2002 Archives Photo

 Image                                                                                                                 

Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart 2003 Archives Photo


Return to top

Society of Our Mother of Peace (Daughters)

The Society of Our Mother of Peace was founded in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in 1966 by Father Placid Guste. The original foundation was transferred to Springfield Missouri in 1976. In the meantime, in 1971 a second foundation was made in High Ridge Missouri, approximately twenty miles from St. Louis Missouri. A third foundation was made in 1998 in the Philippines and a fourth in Nigeria in 2002.

 The Society is composed of three separate Communities: the Sons of Our Mother of Peace for Religious Priests and Brothers; the Daughters of Our Mother of Peace for Religious Sisters; and the Lay Members Community for lay, married or single men and women. It was born of an inner call to combine the contemplative and apostolic lives in a context of material simplicity in such a manner that the apostolic call would express rather than submerge the contemplative spirit.

 Image                                                                                                                 

Society of Our Mother of Peace 1972 Archives Photo

 Image                                    

Society of Our Mother of Peace Daughters Photo


Return to top

Society of the Sacred Heart

The Society of the Sacred Heart was founded in France in 1800 by Saint Madeleine Sophie Barat. Four years later, Rose Philippine Duchesne entered the new community. In 1817, American Bishop William Du Bourg came to call at the motherhouse in Paris to recruit religious to open schools for Native Americans.  Rose Philippine Duchesne and her four companions arrived at the Market Street landing in St. Louis on August 22, 1818, the first women religious in St. Louis. On September 14, 1818, Philippine and her companions opened the first free school west of the Mississippi, with twenty-two girls too poor to pay any tuition. This was the beginning of the Academy of the Sacred Heart and international Sacred Heart education, which now spans the globe.  Read More...

 Timeline - History - Society of the Sacred Heart

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                  

Society of the Sacred Heart - Archives Photo

 Image                                                                                                                                                                                  

Sister's Birthday with Villa Duchesne and Oak Hill School Students


Return to top

Ursuline Sisters of the Roman Union

The Ursuline Sisters of the Roman Union, Central Province, are members of a worldwide community whose lives and mission are rooted in the Gospel of Jesus and the spirit of its foundress, St. Angela Merici. Grounded and empowered by their relationship with God and with one another, the Ursulines seek to be a compassionate, reconciling presence of God in the world.

Angela Merici, a visionary and practical woman, founded this company of women in 1535 in Brescia, Italy, to renew the church from within during the religious conflicts of the 16th century.

At the request of Archbishop Peter Richard Kenrick, the Ursuline Sisters came to Missouri from convents in Austria and Germany in 1848 to establish a convent and school in the Archdiocese of St. Louis.  Read More...

Image                                                                                                                                   

The Ursulines have taught at many parish schools throughout their long history in the St. Louis archdiocese.

 Image                                                                                                                                  

Today Sister teaches theology at Ursuline Academy.

                                      

Return to top