St. Bernard Parish (St. Louis City) was established as a German national parish in 1874. The first church, built at 4019 Gratiot in an area then known as Rock Springs, was replaced in 1898 by a second edifice.
The school was initially operated by the Ursuline Sisters (Kentucky) and then shortly replaced (1889) by the Sisters of Christian Charity. St. Bernard closed in 1973. The building was razed for highway construction.