Annunciation - St. Louis city
Annunciation Church (Ave Maria Shrine), located at 6th and La Salle, was built in 1861. The architect is Thomas Brady. Due to the buildup of polluting industry in the area the Catholic population moved away, and the Christian Brother and Ladies of the Sacred Heart (religious order) who had conducted free schools for boys and girls (respectively) moved elsewhere. The church closed and was razed in 1951.