Holy Ghost Parish in Berkeley began as a mission church out of Saints John and James in 1921. The first church, a wooden frame, was dedicated in 1922 located at 6314 Garfield. The first school was opened in 1940 and staffed by the Franciscan Sisters.
In 1952 a church/school was completed at lst and Madison. It served the Catholic community until the closing of the parish in 1999 due to a drop in membership. Members were asked to attend St. Bartholomew.