St. Engelbert (St Louis City) was formed as a National German parish in 1891. The 2nd church was built at 4330 Shreve (Marcus and Carter) in 1927. Its school, begun in 1891, was staffed by the School Sisters of Notre Dame. Due to a declining number of parishioners, the parish merged with Most Holy Rosary in December 1994. The new parish was given the name St Elizabeth, Mother of John the Baptist and is located at the former St. Engelbert site. Students now attend St. Louis Catholic Academy.