User Menu

Markers of interest in St. Charles Borromeo Cemetery

   
Louis Blanchette "Chasseur"
Owner:
Size: 5 Images
Created: 28-02-2009
Louis Blanchette "Chasseur" - Founder of St. Charles in 1769. Builder of the first St. Charles Borromeo log church in 1776 on Main and Jackson Streets. He and his Pawnee Indian wife were buried after their death late in 1793. Tradition states they were moved in 1831 to the present Borromeo Church Yard. In 1854, moved to this location along with other pioneers of St. CharlesThis plaque was placed in 1936 by the St. Charles Borromeo parish.
 
   

   
Jean Baptiste - Point DuSable
Owner:
Size: 3 Images
Created: 28-02-2009
Jean Baptiste - Point DuSable 1745? to 1818 - Haitian black fur trader, first permanent Chicago settler and trader. DuSable died on the 28th of August, 1818 in St. Charles Missouri and was buried in the original St. Charles Borromeo Cemetery. Tradition states his remains were moved to the 2nd Borromeo Churchyard and finally to this location. This memorial was placed by the Illinois Sesquicentennial Commission in 1968.
 
   

   
Sandstone marker
Owner:
Size: 1 Images
Created: 23-08-2007
Weathered sandstone marker of Pelagie Chauvin, born Christmas day in 1800, died October 6th, in 1861.
 
   

   
2 1/2 year old from 1885
Owner:
Size: 1 Images
Created: 28-02-2009
Sandstone marker for a 2 1/2 year old child born in 1885
 
   

   
Marker from 1816
Owner:
Size: 1 Images
Created: 23-08-2007
 
   

   
Francois Duquette
Owner:
Size: 6 Images
Created: 28-02-2009
Sieur Francois Duquette - born in Quebec, Canada in 1774, died in St. Charles on February 2nd, 1816 at 42 years of age, and his wife, Madame Marie Louise Beauvais, born in St. Genevieve, Missouri in 1776, and died in St. Charles April 2nd, 1841 at the age of 65."Prominent and highly respected pioneers who assiduously sustained and cultivated early Catholicity in St. Charles. Whose memory is held in affectionate regard by the Borromeo parish.Their mortal remains rest beneath this massive, old-fashioned monument, the oldest of its kind in this St. Charles county, dating from 1816."Let us now praise men of renown, their bodies are buried in peace, and their name liveth into generations -Historic NoteThis monument was originally erected in the first Borromeo Cemetery at Main and Jackson Streets, where Francis Duquette was buried, together with his remains. It was moved about 1829 to the second grave-yard on the block where the Borromeo Church now stands. Where twelve years later, Mrs. Duquette was laid to rest at the side of her noble husband, lastly, in 1854, both bodies and his commemorative shaft were transferred to this hallowed spot in the present Borromeo burial grounds in tribute to their perennial memory.The sculptured inscription on the obelisk, having been well nigh obliterated by the ravishes of time, was in 1912 restored by the generosity of his excellency, Most Rev. John J. Glennon, S.T.D., Archbishop of St. Louis and of Miss Stella M. Drumm, librarian and historian of the Missouri Historical Society in the year 1941, finally, the monument having again suffered from corrosion, was totally renovated by the grateful Borromeo Parish, and adorned with an imperishable bronze, proclaiming forever its immortal legend.
 
   


No images in gallery