User Menu

St. Peter History Print E-mail
Start Stop Previous Next

slideshow picture

Title

Caption




St. Peter Cemetery in Kirkwood is the oldest Catholic cemetery in St. Louis county. In 1832 Father Charles Van Quickenborne, the head of the Jesuit St. Stanislaus Novitiate in Florissant, began missionary work in this area.  In 1833 the Catholic families here purchased eighty acres on Geyer Road for a church and cemetery. The first-recorded burial was that of Unity Breen, wife of Peter Breen, who died in January 28, 1835, at the age of 28. In 1867 a new, brick St. Peter's church was built closer to Kirkwood Road, with the older church on Geyer Road burning to the ground in 1875.  The parish property here remains the present day St. Peter cemetery.

In spite of the relocation of the church, the cemetery remains an important asset to the community and is still active today.  The cemetery was recently expanded with the opening of two new burial sections, both include the choice of monument lots or lawn level marker lots.  There are also prominent lots for the burial of priests and also one nearby for the burial of Ursuline nuns. 

Contact the Resurrection Cemetery office for lot availability and costs, 314.792.7737 or email your request for more detailed information.