In 1852 Father John Gleizel, a Jesuit, established a mission in Bridgeton, in northwest St. Louis County. He erected the red brick St. Mary's Church, a priest's house, and a parochial school at St. James Street and Natural Bridge Road. Several acres were purchased north of Bridgeton for the development of St. Mary's Cemetery. The first burials did not take place until 1878. Later bodies of parishioners who had been buried in the town cemetery were moved to this new Catholic cemetery.
In 1952 a new church and school were built on Long Road, but the cemetery remained in its original location. St. Mary's Parish church has since been closed due to the expansion of Lambert St. Louis Airport, but the cemetery has been managed by Catholic Cemeteries of the Archdiocese of St. Louis since 2002. Call the Calvary Cemetery office for information, 314.792.7738