|Sacred Heart History|
Around 1846 Germans began moving into Florissant Valley. In 1866, thirty-five German Catholic families in the St. Ferdinand Parish received permission from Archbishop Peter Kenrick to build a second parish church and a parochial school where the German language would be used.
The first pastor, Father Ignatius Panken, established a German parochial school first, and the church was completed in 1867. The church was named in honor of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The Sisters of the Precious Blood taught the students.
The early Germans buried their dead in the old St. Ferdinand Cemetery. When the St. Ferdinand Parish Council requested a new cemetery in 1874, the Germans of Sacred Heart asked for a separate plot of land for their own cemetery. The site on Graham Road, a short distance from the New St. Ferdinand Cemetery, was selected and called the "German Catholic Cemetery" for many years. Today it is known as Sacred Heart Cemetery.
Originally, only a small portion of the property was developed as a cemetery. A road led from Graham Road to the large stone crucifix. Later developers sold part of the undeveloped land for a subdivision.
Archbishop Joseph Ritter took over the management of the two Florissant cemeteries in the 1960s, and the Catholic Cemeteries redeveloped them. At Sacred Heart Cemetery the large granite crucifix was moved closer to Graham Road and the old entrance was closed. An epic size statue of the Sacred Heart was erected in Section 3 on a column of Missouri red granite, forming a second shrine within the cemetery. Later a chapel for committal services was constructed, along with an outdoor garden mausoleum, niches for the inurnment of cremated remains, lawn crypts, floral lawn crypts and shared family monument lots. In July 2009 another burial section was opened, known as Section 10. Both monument lots and lawn level marker graves are offered.