Saint Louis University Master's Degree Program in Catholic School Leadership
The Department of Educational Leadership and Higher Education at Saint Louis University offers a master’s degree program designed specifically to meet the needs of current and future Catholic school leaders. Four areas of concentration are offered:
- For current Catholic school administrators wanting to meet certification or accreditation requirements, and for current Catholic school teachers interested in becoming principals, presidents, or associate principals
- Teacher Leadership
- For Catholic school teachers serving as academic deans, lead teachers, and other teacher leadership positions
- Business Operations
- For current and aspiring Catholic school business managers
- Institutional Advancement
- For current and aspiring Catholic school institutional advancement and development professionals
Course content addresses the uniqueness of Catholic schools as religious and private schools. Courses are taught by Saint Louis University instructors who have experience in Catholic education and adjunct instructors holding earned doctorates who are current Catholic school administrators. Courses are designed to develop administrative skills by using problem based learning experiences derived from the actual responsibilities, tasks, and experiences of Catholic school leaders.
The core curriculum for all four areas of concentration consists of one course in the Theological Foundations of Catholic Education and two courses in Educational Research for Practitioners.
Students in the administration concentration take eight additional required courses in school administration. Students in the teacher leadership, business operations, and institutional advancement concentrations take five additional required courses and three electives.
The current tuition rate is only $285 per credit hour for Catholic school educators enrolled in this program. Saint Louis University discounts the regular graduate school tuition rate by 2/3 as a concrete commitment to Catholic K-12 education. In addition, current teachers and administrators may apply for their professional development reimbursement benefit consisting of 50% of actual out of pocket expenses for tuition, fees, and materials up to a maximum of $1500 per year.
Further information on the Catholic School Leadership Program can be found at: http://www.slu.edu/x12729.xml
For more information about this program, contact:
Dr. John James
Saint Louis University
Dr. Karen Tichy
Saint Louis University