Director of Nursing
Cardinal Ritter Senior Services has a job opening for an experienced full-time Director of Nursing to direct all nursing activities at Mary Queen and Mother Center, St. Louis, MO 63119. Cardinal Ritter Senior Services is a not-for-profit organization that values its employees and provides services to improve the quality of life for senior adults by promoting and providing health assistance, housing facilities, social services and programs, and volunteer opportunities in St. Louis City and County, as well as in St. Charles, Jefferson, Franklin and Warren Counties. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. We also bring the mission to life by expressing the core values of love, compassion, hope and integrity.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Responsible for coordinating, directing, staffing, controlling, and evaluating a 24 hour program of Nursing Service to meet the needs of the residents.
2. Directs all Nursing activities to ensure quality care for all residents.
3. Participates in the formulation of philosophy, objectives, policies and procedures that directly, or indirectly, influence Nursing Services based upon the philosophy of care at Cardinal Ritter Senior Services.
4. Assists in coordinating department functions with other departments for a harmonious working relationship.
5. Maintains work schedules to ensure the Nursing Department is adequately covered at all times and that work is performed in a safe and timely manner.
6. Assures the needs of the residents are met by hiring qualified personnel, and terminating Nursing employees according to policies.
7. Consults and works with Human Resources to make personnel needs known and to comply with regulations and policies related to personnel issues.
8. Assists in preparing objectives and budget for Nursing Service.
9. Participates in administrative and departmental meetings and serves on committees as requested.
10. Assists with the activities of the Medical Director, staff physicians, and medical consultants as needed.
11. Assists in the planning of in-services and identifies staff development needs for Nursing personnel.
12. Meets regularly with the Administrator or Assistant Administrator regarding needs and activities of the Nursing Department, and notifies the Administrator of any unusual incidents that occur.
13. Assists Nursing Supervisors with assessment and evaluation of resident needs, personnel issues, and staffing.
14. Participates in professional meetings to keep abreast of new developments in gerontology and changes in Nursing procedures.
15. Delegates responsibilities to ADON(s) as necessary
16. Signs off approval on all admissions, may be delegated to ADON during absence.
17. Responsible for ensuring staff follows HR Policies and Procedures.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
1. Graduate of a professional Nursing program with a current Missouri state license.
2. Formal preparation and experience in administration and supervision of Nursing Service.
3. Knowledge of Federal, State, and local regulations governing extended care facilities including knowledge of the Resident Assessment Instrument (RAI) process and Medicare regulations including Prospective Payment System (PPS).
4. Knowledge of Federal, State, and local regulations governing employment regulations.
5. Knowledge of the operation and organization of an extended care facility.
6. Minimum five (5) years Nursing experience in long term care.
7. Specialized interest and experience in geriatrics and Nursing care of the chronically ill and convalescent resident.
SKILLS & ATTITUDES REQUIRED FOR SUCCESS IN JOB:
1. Must be tactful, courteous, and patient in dealing with staff, residents, and public contact.
2. Must be in good physical and emotional health
3. Possess responsibility, initiative, leadership, tact, and creativity in developing Nursing care.
4. Be flexible to a working schedule that adapts to the needs of all shifts.
5. Must possess communication skills adequate to direct contact with employees, physicians, vendors, residents, families and visitors, must be able to assess and accurately service the needs of these persons by referring them to the delegated authority. Must be able to handle and maintain confidential information.
6. Must possess independent judgement and evaluate consequence of errors. Must be able to function independently within the confines of the position.
7. Must be able to set priorities within own work requirements.
8. Must possess good Nursing assessment skills and knowledge of all current residents.
9. Must be able to set an example to the Nursing personnel in regards to promptness, manner, dress/appearance, demeanor, safety, cooperation, Nursing practice, etc.
10. Must promote the philosophy of Cardinal Ritter Senior Services.
11. Must be able to perform the physical/mental functions/requirements of the position.