Associate Director of Campus Ministry
The Archdiocese of Saint Louis has an opportunity for a full-time Associate Director of Campus Ministry. This position is located at the UMSL Newman Center – 8200 Natural Bridge Rd., St. Louis, MO. The Archdiocese is a non-profit organization which encompasses 185 parishes, 146 schools, over 90 offices/agencies and a Catholic population of more than 500,000. We were voted a 2015 and 2016 TOP WORKPLACE in the St. Louis area. We value our employees by providing a balance between work and everyday life. We also offer a competitive benefits package available upon hire and a generous paid time off schedule.
The Associate Director of Campus Ministry at the Catholic Newman Center serves the faculty, staff, and students at the University of Missouri-St. Louis (UMSL). This person assists the Director in fulfilling the mission of the Catholic Newman Center and ensuring efficient operation of the Newman House and campus ministry staff & interns. The qualified candidate will seek to invest in students for lifelong participation and mission within the Catholic Church.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Including, but not limited to, the following areas:
• Assist the Director in the daily operations of the Catholic Newman Center
• Assist the Director in overseeing the daily work of Campus Ministry staff and interns
• Assist the Director to create and implement new strategies and new programs according to the changing needs of the community.
• Assist the Director to coordinate the planning, preparation, training and evaluation of all ministerial programming at the Newman Center including (the): service trip, retreats, fellowship meetings, social justice activities, interfaith campus ministry council, training workshops, and community-building socials.
• Assist the Director in building relationships between the Newman Center and the university.
• In collaboration with the Director, oversee the various communication channels used in ministry, (the) websites, social media, newsletter, announcements, online calendar, on campus advertising, and general email accounts, empowering and overseeing student leaders, campus ministry staff, and interns to communicate effectively.
• Provide a ministry of presence and pastoral care with students to encourage faith formation, discipleship, personal growth, and vocational discernment.
• Oversee the efforts of the Catholic Newman Center’s student leadership team. Cultivate and develop initiative among students and student officers.
• Evangelize and form students in the Catholic faith. Encourage the faith development of non-Catholic students.
• Maintain visible, proactive outreach and communication with the university students, staff, and faculty.
• Assist Student Leaders in building and managing the Student Activity budget, and assist the director in overseeing the overall Newman Center Budget.
• Assist Development Associate with bi-annual newsletter theme, student articles, and mailing.
• Design fliers, advertisements, and banners in conjunction with the Office of Student Life for promotion of events.
• Seek collaboration with other Catholic organizations, Campus Ministries, and agencies.
• Serve as an Advisory Board member.
• Be an example of Catholic life for students, faithfully living and demonstrating the precepts of the Church.
• Be nourished by personal prayer, particularly devotion to Christ present in the Eucharist. Meet regularly with a spiritual director and take time for retreat and recollection.
• Be available to be present three evenings a week to pray with the Newman community and assist with events.
• Organize and facilitate the small group for juniors and seniors dedicated to vocation according to the guidelines laid out in the grant from Lily Foundation Inc.
Knowledge & Experience Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree required. Prior experience in campus ministry in a leadership role or as a participant is required. Candidate must have experience in training, mentoring, and supervising college-aged individuals; a demonstrated skill in written and oral communication, and a sound understanding of the Catholic faith as well as an understanding of the role of Campus Ministry as stated in the Bishops’ pastoral letter, “Empowered by the Spirit.”
Skills & Attitudes Required for Success in Job:
Successful candidate will have a passion for the Catholic faith and the New Evangelization. This candidate must be a self-motivated individual able to meet deadlines, who is comfortable learning any technology basics required and comfortable working collaboratively within a small team. Flexible hours required; evening and weekend hours will be required; schedule will vary some week to week. The candidate will have a desire and opportunity for professional development annually. Candidate will have proficiency in use of computers, particularly in the Microsoft Office programs, spreadsheets, internet and e-mail. Successful candidate must complete the Archdiocesan ‘Protecting God’s Children’ program.
Qualified candidates may submit their resume and cover letter including salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.