The Archdiocese of Saint Louis has an opportunity for a full-time Campus Minister. This position is located at the UMSL Newman Center – 8200 Natural Bridge Rd., St. Louis, MO. The Archdiocese is a non-profit organization which encompasses 185 parishes, 146 schools, over 90 offices/agencies and a Catholic population of more than 500,000. We were voted a 2015 and 2016 TOP WORKPLACE in the St. Louis area. We value our employees by providing a balance between work and everyday life. We also offer a competitive benefits package available upon hire and a generous paid time off schedule.
The Campus Minister at the Catholic Newman Center serves the faculty, staff, and students at the University of Missouri-St. Louis (UMSL). This person serves to fulfill the mission of the Catholic Newman Center of UMSL through campus ministry programs and relational ministry.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Including, but not limited to, the following areas:
• Recruitment of first year and new students.
• Build community among first year and new students.
• Retain new and first year students as they are integrated into the overall life of the Newman community.
• Provide a ministry of presence and pastoral care with students to encourage faith formation and discipleship, personal growth, leadership, and discernment of gifts.
• Evangelize and form students in the Catholic faith and encourage the faith development of non-Catholic students in their own traditions.
• Outreach to the dorm community, campus community and greater UMSL community.
• Coordinate and implement first year small faith formation groups.
• Work closely with the Newman Servant Leader team.
• Develop and maintain a database of new students and possible ‘Newman recruits’ to aid in ongoing relationship and retention of students.
• Maintain ongoing involvement of students including: Welcome Weeks, Great Getaway, Small group/ socials, service, Awakenings, women’s/ men’s group, leadership, liturgies, spirituality.
• Work with Campus Ministry staff to create and implement new programs according to the changing needs of the community.
• Maintain visible, proactive outreach, collaboration communication with the university students, staff, and faculty (especially Respect Life and the Office of Student Life).
• Oversee UMSL CNC social media efforts.
Knowledge & Experience Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree required. Prior experience in campus ministry as a participant or in leadership role is required. Candidate must have experience in training, mentoring, and supervising college-aged individuals; a demonstrated skill in written and oral communication, and a sound understanding of the Catholic faith as well as an understanding of the role of Campus Ministry as stated in the Bishops’ pastoral letter, “Empowered by the Spirit.”
Skills & Attitudes Required for Success in Job:
Successful candidate will have a passion for the Catholic faith and the New Evangelization. This candidate must be a self-motivated individual able to meet deadlines, who is comfortable learning any technology basics required and comfortable working collaboratively within a small team. Flexible hours required; some evening and weekend hours required; weekly schedule may therefore change accordingly.
The candidate will have a desire and opportunity for professional development annually. Candidate will have proficiency in use of computers, particularly in the Microsoft Office programs, spreadsheets, internet and e-mail. Successful candidate must complete the Archdiocesan ‘Protecting God’s Children’ program.
Qualified candidates may submit their resume and cover letter including salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.