User Menu

Mount Olive History Print E-mail

Mount Olive Cemetery was the name given to the Catholic burial ground belonging to St. Mary and Joseph Catholic Church in the French community of Carondelet. The burial ground opened in 1823, and the church was established in 1824. By 1839 the cemetery was full and had to be closed.

During the Cholera Epidemic of 1849, John Sigerson gave a part of his farm, just west of Carondelet, in the Carondelet Commons, to the City of Carondelet to be used as a cemetery. The property was divided, and the northern portion was dedicated for burials of Catholics in sanctified ground, and the southern portion was dedicated for Protestants.  Archbishop Peter Kenrick named the Catholic section Mount Olive Cemetery to perpetuate the name of the old burial ground in Carondelet.  The cemetery is active today; contact 314.792.7737 for more information.

Mount Olive has been a popular cemetery, especially among French Catholics.  The most famous burial in Mount Olive Cemetery was that of Joseph Marconnot.  He was a bachelor truck farmer from an old French family in Carondelet who died on December 27, 1924.  Following the instructions of his will, he was embalmed like King Tut, dressed in a tuxedo, and laid to rest in a granite mausoleum with a plate glass door.  It was his wish that all the world could come and view him dressed in his finest. He was a popular attraction until more recently, when his descendants installed a solid door to replace the glass one, preventing the public viewing that Mr. Marconnot intended.  

Louis Jordan, the great rhythm and blues musician, is also buried at Mount Olive Cemetery. He died in 1975.


Mt. Olive

Joseph Marconnot (the Mount Olive Mummy)