Naming and Commendation of an Infant Who Died Before Birth
"I am the Resurrection and the life." - John 11:25
Jointly developed by the Archdiocesan Office of Worship and the RLA, this rite is designed to meet the needs of parents whose child(ren) died prior to birth because of miscarriage, accident, or abortion.
The ritual emphasizes the Church's respect for the sacredness of all human life from the moment of conception – regardless of a child’s age or stage of development. It acknowledges that all life, even the lives of those who are never born, impacts families and individuals. It also helps bring peaceful closure after a great loss. It helps families and friends place the infant's death in the context of faith and to unite them to the merciful love of God.
Dates for Upcoming Naming and Commendation Ceremonies
- Sunday, Sept. 18, 2016: St. Mary Magdalen Parish - South City at 2 pm. Annual Mass for Deceased Children at the Deceased Children's Memorial.
- Saturday, Oct. 15, 2016: St. Peter Parish - St Charles at 8 am.
- Sunday, Nov. 6, 2016: Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis at 10 am. Memorial Mass for Parents who Have Lost a Child. RSVP requested to 314.373.8208.
- Sunday, Nov. 13, 2016: St. Margaret Mary Alacoque at 2 pm.
- Sunday, Nov. 20, 2016: Our Lady - Festus at 7 pm.
If your parish would like to host a Naming and Commendation Mass, please contact the RLA. If you would like to be notified when the next Naming and Commendation Mass is scheduled, please email the RLA.